Saturday, April 7, 2012

Reflections on Week 9.5 (Spring Break!)

It's been a great week to just take a break, relax, and enjoy time with friends and family.  
I love what I do, and I don't see most of it as "work".
I enjoy curriculum planning. 
I enjoy making videos. 
I enjoy blogging.
I guess I've found the right career since it never really seems like work to me!

Since we didn't have school this week, this won't be a normal "reflection" post.  However, I did want to reflect on a few things I posted this week:

FLIPPED CLASSROOM ACHIEVEMENT DATA
I finally got all caught up on my test scores and data collection.  I love that I am seeing the "quantitative" improvement in achievement scores in addition to the "qualitative" feedback I am getting from students.  One of the biggest questions my staff asked me in January when I presented the "flipped classroom" to them was "What data do you have that shows this works?".  At the time, I didn't have any numbers.  Now I do, and I love it!

Algebra 1 Chapter 9 test score data
Math Analysis Unit P test score data
Math Analysis Unit Q test score data


I try to post the "qualitative" comments on a weekly basis (see some previous posts here: Week 8, Week 9, thoughts on new things I tried during week 8/9 here, here, and here.)

"FLIPPING" TEACHERS DATA
Post here
The survey data was finally "closed" for collection (although the survey link is still open if you'd like to add your information!  I have a ton more to add to it, but there's lots of great stuff there already in addition to hundreds of connections you can make with other "flipping" teachers.

CRITICS OF THE FLIPPED CLASSROOM
Post here
I finally had to get out my frustrations with critics of the flipped classroom.  And, of course, why I think the flipped classroom is amazing.  "Don't criticize until you try"

"STUDENTS ON SPRING BREAK"

#2 essay written by Ariana           

I asked my students to reflect a little on the flipped classroom with a cartoon, essay, or video.  Here are two of the submissions I received from my students.

#FLIPCLASS chat from 4/2/12

I missed the chat again on Monday since I was traveling back home from a mini-vacation.  But, the discussion seemed to be great and here are a few of my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...